The Allen Brothers Store/George M. Phillips Store (3414 Allen Road)
Joseph S.C. Allen and his brother William F. Allen operated a store here from 1848 until it burned in 1894. They were the sons of Mary W. Allen. The village of Upper Trappe was renamed Allen in 1884 in honor of Joseph S.C. Allen, who was postmaster at the time. In 1900 George M. Phillips and his wife Emma Huffington Phillips built a new store and residence on the site, and that building still stands. Mr. Phillips died in 1933, but the store was operated first by his widow and later his daughter Lillian until 1946, when it was sold. The store closed in 1954.
Next: Whittington Hall