The Allen Historical Society
News of the Society
History the Society
Huffington House Restoration
Village Tour
Official AHS Documents
Contact AHS

Help the Allen Historical Society by making a donation. Payments by PayPal.

Passerdyke Cottage, c. 1930
The Society's headquarters, Passerdyke Cottage (3474 Allen Rd.), is an early 19th century dwelling in the heart of the village at the intersection of Allen Road and Residential Drive. Currently an archival and exhibition space is on the second floor, accessible by an exterior stairway. Those persons interested in the genealogy of local families or in the history of the village of Allen and its vicinity are cordially invited to consult our files.

There are also exhibits of vintage photographs and memoribilia of village life during the 19th and 20th centuries, with particular emphasis on education, religion, domestic life, and agriculture. There is also an exhibit on Allen's African American community, beginning with slavery and continuing with the foundation of a free black community along Upper Ferry Road beginning in the 1830's.

See "News of the Society" for museum hours and other Society events. For further information contact George R. Shivers at telephone 410-778-3696 (Chestertown) or 410-749-9064 (Allen). Leave a message. You may also email at: The Society's mailing address is P.O. Box 31, Allen, MD 21810.

Passerdyke Cottage, 2000

The Society's home, Passerdyke Cottage dates to c. 1830. Interesting features of the house are the half-tree sleepers and the handmade nails used in construction. There is also an original fireplace and enclosed staircase. It has been enlarged by several additions in the 20th century.

The Society was incorporated in 1996 and recognized as a tax-exempt, non-profit organization in February of 1997. There are currently 68 members.

The officers are:
  John Culp
  Althea Chandler
  Sharon Walsh
  Joseph Ballou

John Culp
Althea Chandler
Sharon Walsh
Joseph Ballou
George Shivers
Velmar Morris
Susan Knowles
Ron Walsh

This website was funded by the Rural Development Center at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore
through a grant from the Economic Development Administration, U.S. Department of Commerce.